Saturday, March 11, 2006

A lot of Extra patience needed today

I have had a lot of trouble with one of my nurses today. She is an older women, but I think we got off on the wrong step. So now it makes for interesting drama in the hospital. Everytime I got to deal with nurse T. it took extra time.

It started this morning with calling for pain meds and she didn't come, call again, call again for pain killer, for an hour later. Then finally get the attention of the doctor and have them get the nurse moving. With me still in pain she come with capsules when the doctor ordered IV pain meds, but she didn't bring straw :-( I am laying flat on my back not able to move, I ask her where is the IV pain killer? She says here is your medicine I will go get a straw. She comes back and slowly opens the straw (maybe she was going a little faster but from the point of view of the person in pain she wasn't making it go away fast enough) Then she pulls out the IV pain meds and injects them in my IV. (Why didn't she do that first??? That is what I really wanted)

Finally after settling down talk to transplant doctors and they are concerned that I haven't had blood work done yet I tell them about the issue blood dudes at 6:00AM had with me and they tried again when I was in pain. Nurse T. calls lab to have them come back again, and tells me to page when get poked so she can give me morning drugs. 10 minutes later get poked and page nurse. 15 minutes later, no nurse or drugs and the IV pump complains. I decide that I am not waiting so I go track her down. Find her at the nurses desk and ask if she got the page 10 minutes ago, she with a very confused look says yes but she was waiting for the lab to come and poke me... I ask her for the drugs now and says she will bring them. I start waking back to room slowly because that is the only real speed I have. She comes up saying she is going to race me to my room, I try asking her about what I can drink with the drugs do I get juice, but she keeps on going. So when i get there I ask her and she says yes I can have apple, cranberry, or grape. I ask for grape. Then a couple of minutes later she comes back asking what type of juice did I want? So about 10 minutes later I am able to take my morning pills.

Later, Aide M. is in room changing the bed sheets and getting sponge bath ready, when the IV pump goes off needs reset. Aide pages Nurse T. while she finished in the room changing bed. Nurse T says ok be there in a bit. Aide M. finished getting water ready for bath. pump still beeping. If nurses is coming decide I will wait for pump to be changed. Aide M. said that the water will start to get cold and I decide to take bath leaving pump just outside of the door so it cam be worked on. Take bath and finish getting ready, pump still going off. Aide comes back to check on me 15 minutes later comments about the pump I tell her that it hasn't been fixed yet. She goes to try to find nurse. Comes back with someone else Nurse C they hit the reset and the pump now wont work because it hasn't been going for almost 45 minutes and there is tension. They have to go and get a flush but come right back. and flush the line, then the pump works. A lot of extra work because Nurse T didn't show up :-(

Then this afternoon I get a new IV in my wrist because they were going to take the central line out. The IV went in no problem she had someone else do it and said she was going to come back and switch things off of the central line. I was wanting to go for a walk, but she didn't come back so I went to track her down. So after a little convincing saying I don't like seeing blood in my IV and wanted saline in it before I walked she came and did it, but she had to get a connector first, came back then found needed another connector went and came back.

I can't say it was all bad dealing with her she did show up on time to give me pain meds the rest of the day. :-)

So as I am typing this I have to laugh at myself a little I prayed earlier today that God would help me to see her through his eyes and that I could find a way to witness to her and that she could see something different in me then her other patients, God to give me the patience to work with her. So how does God answer prayers for patience? He put his children in places where they have to be patient. Thank you Lord for answering prayer in a very tangible way. I have never been alone since I got here :-) Yeah JESUS!

Another amazing thing, that happened they ordered to take out my Central line IV. I don't mine it wasn't working anyway. Well Nurse T got to come do it Michael Anderson and showed up to give me a hiarcut at the same time. She had to hold pressure on the hole for 10 minutes. So the entire time I was telling about all the Miracles God was doing on my life. God ROCKS!!!

No comments: