Thursday, May 25, 2006

Wish it was better news...

2 months 18 days later
Day 2 of the Fifth Time in the Hospital!

Well, where to begin?

Yesterday after all the tests were done, the doctors came back with some painful news...
Micah is in need of another liver transplant. He will have to go back on the transplant list now. How disappointing!
He will have to go through ALL of this again. :-( Hopefully things will go better than they did the first time around.
Although we would like the actual surgery go just as well!! No complications... No blood transfusion... The breathing machine removed just as quickly! Yep... we would like the surgery to go just as well as the first time but we want the recovery to go better than this one!!

So what exactly is wrong?
The main artery bringing blood into the liver has shut down. There is a clot plugging the Hepatic artery. The bile needs fresh blood and so the bile ducts are in jeopardy and causing pools or holes to develop in the liver. He has three pools, one of which is draining into an outside bag now, the other two are still small enough that another drain won't be attached yet. When he goes home he will be leaving with an IV and we will have to have some med.s taken intravenously. Doctors have said Micah will be needing a lot of help now as he progresses in the liver breakdown and we are not through with trips to the hospital... we may still have more of these every other week a trip into the hospital depending on the infections as they hit.

So, what happens next?
Micah goes home and we try to stay on top of the fevers.
Micah gets an OK for a liver transplant with medicade
and then listed for another Liver Transplant.
Then we wait for another call that there is a Liver for him.
Then goes in for the Transplant
Then the recovery period again

When I came to Utah I was expecting to be here a month or two... maybe three at the most...
but it looks like I was wrong and the Lord had different plans. Looks like I wasn't getting as close to going home as I thought and told everyone! I am so sorry, I didn't mean to mislead everyone. I am just as disappointed, but I am glad I can be here with Micah. He really needs me right now. I have now made James 4:13 my verse of the month!

James 4:13 says:

"Come now, (Becky), you who say today or tomorrow we will do this or that..and spend this amount of time there...
You do not know what will happen tomorrow... Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that!!"
Yes, I do not know what will happen today or tomorrow. If the Lord wills there will be another Liver Transplant and I can come home.

For now the Doctor said Micah can go back home again soon. They think the antibiotics are working now to keep this fever down.

So, with what I have learned today I will say: "If the Lord wills, Micah will be going home again soon. And if He wills another liver transplant will happen at some point. Hopefully soon... but soon is all relative! One step at a time. and one prayer at a time! Please keep him on your prayer lists.

Until later... (If the Lord wills!)
Becky, a mother still clinging to her rock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becky & Micah,
I love you both tons and want you to know that I am still praying and will continue to. Thanks for keeping me posted. God Bless.
Katrina Stone :)