Thursday, August 10, 2006

More pokes

Since they have changed the drains on tuesday they haven’t been draining much, and I have had some low grade fevers again. All the signs that they aren’t working like they are suppose to. The drains produced less then 70cc in 48+ hours. My mom being worried about me called the transplant team to let them know and of coarse they wanted me to come in and get looked at.

This morning I had my normal blood draw/tests. (1 Poke) When I went back this afternoon they had to do blood culture tests which means they have to poke me at 2 different sites. I had the same phlebotomist as this morning, I have gotten pretty comfortable with them and they do a good job it has been a while since they have had to poke me more then once. We were going to poke both arms, I gave her my right arm to start with which has been the “difficult one” in the past. Sure enough it was still not wanting to cooperate and the first poke didn’t give any blood. She asked if we should dig for it or stab me again. I have learned it is worse when they go fishing for the vain, so I had her poke me again in the same arm. Second time worked great, 1 set of cultures done. She felt really bad about having to poke me, I told her the next one was in my “easier arm”, but she didn’t want to be the one to poke me 4 times in the same day. She had another phlebotomist who was helping, and has also poke me many times in the past, poke me for my 4th poke today and get the 2nd set of cultures. After going to the lab several times a week for 4+ months you start to know who works there, and who is really good. The second set of blood cultures worked without any problem. Hopefully now they will tell the doctors something useful.

After the lab we went back to angio. One of my least favorite places in the hospital. They usually cause me a lot of pain. They were squeezing me in again so we got to sit in the waiting room for quite a while. When I did get called back, my worst fear was that they were going to have to mess with the drains again, pull and push them. But to my surprise they just injected contrast and saw that they were in a good place and working so they sent me away about 15 minutes later. No Painful experience today! Yeah!

What ever they did has made a difference. Fluid has been flowing again more at a “normal” rate. So we continue to wait on God till he opens the next door.

No comments: